Monday, April 26, 2010

Jealous of my boogie!

This morning I got on the train and sat down to read my latest book (Thinkertoys) and promptly this fat guy gets on the train and begin singing prince songs at the top of his lungs. I, like everyone else on the train, immediately get pissed off because all I want to do first thing in the morning is have a nice quite relaxing trip to the office, not listen to an american idol reject. I mean, this guy was so loud and so obnoxious that doing anything but listening to him was impossible. So I sat there and tried my best to read my book, but then I stopped and I thought about how silly I was. The guy was standing there completely oblivious to the feelings of everyone (by now he had moved on to singing RuPaul songs) but he was totally and completely happy in himself singing his heart out, and I was sitting there like a tool trying to pretend I didn't hear him. I heard him, and what's more, when would I next have a chance to hear a fat guy sing RuPaul on the train? I can read my book anytime, but this was a chance to have a beautiful unique moment. So I closed my book and opened myself up to the experience of hearing him sing. And frankly he wasn't that bad. He was singing "Don't be jealous of my boogie" and I realized that I was totally jealous of his boogie. That absolute abandon to do whatever the fuck he wants when and where he wants, with no care about what anyone thought. That's a beautiful thing and something we should all aspire too. Every day, the trip to work could be symphony!

When he got off the train, I was actually disappointed, and spent the rest of the day singing RuPaul with a smile on my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment