Thursday, April 29, 2010

Amazing Cause Marketing

I love rebel shit. Something harsh and amazing to wake people up out of there stupors, I think is great. Maybe not all the time but sometime, I think it's important that someone goes totally over the deep end. With that in mind, I've posted the video for M.I.A.'s latest single below. Before you watch it let me warn you: it is NOT safe for work (violence, language, some brief nudity). I'm not a huge fan of the song, but this video . . .this video is going to fuck up your chackra for the rest of the day. But it is worth watching because it speaks to a number of causes through the use of analogy and thanks to M.I.A.s brand you can tell the causes she is referencing. This is something that any reputable organization would never directly sponsor but the power of this video is undeniable, even if it goes too far at times, and after watching it, you want to do something. I felt like I wanted to go into the street and start a protest to end inequality. It drives you on a deep gut level to want to take action, and at the end of the day, isn't that our goal as marketers for a mission?

M.I.A, Born Free from ROMAIN-GAVRAS on Vimeo.

Something else that this video makes me think about is the human need to be consistent and how that is rarely utilized in marketing for missions. Essentially, even if you don't agree with M.I.A.s stance on the Tamil Tigers, after seeing this video, you can at least agree that people shouldn't be abused for how they were born or who they are. Once you've gotten someone to believe that, they would be far more likely to support equal rights for LGBT people, or abolishing racism, or ending the inequalities that plague our world, because those issues have the same ideological foundation (i.e. that people should not be abused for who they are). I feel that we often get so caught up in the differences of our causes that we ignore the similarities and, as such, miss out on opportunities to partner with unlikely allies that essentially believe the same things we believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment