Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Mr Lundy goes to the awards



So I just left the Glaad Media Awards (thanks to my friends at Glaad for the invite) and strangely enough, my first thoughts as I sat down to write about my experience was “I love for-profit companies”. Now let me back up, for those who don’t know, Glaad is the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (funny how all of the lgbt orgs have some happy name like Glaad or Gleam or Glsen and stuff like that. . . some would say they’re trying too hard) and every year they award companies that have had positive depictions of lgbt people. This year I was invited to attend and, like any hyper critical ad man, I was more than delighted to attend. But during the actual awards show, something interesting yet annoying happened. Whenever a representative from a company came up to accept an award they did the traditional “than you mom, God, and Elvis” thing but they ended with some sort of pitch i.e. “American airlines has always been devoted to queers” (of course said a bit more eloquently, but you get the point). At first I was annoyed, I mean I didn’t show up to go to a freaking infomercial, but then I thought “well, what else are they here for?”. I love for-profits because they never ever ever forget why they are here. This company representative sees a room full of affluent white men (yours truly being among the few exceptions) and they realize that their job is to sell. They aren’t here to pick up a nice shiny award, they are here to sell you on their business and convince you to give them your money. Of course their pitches were clumsy and clawing and obvious but at least they realized why they were there and they gave it a shot. I wish nonprofits could be as focused on their goals.

At the Glaad awards show there was food and liquor and silent auctions and live auctions but there was precious little about Glaad, what they have achieved, and why I should care enough to support them. I love it when nonprofits put on events and create experiences for their stakeholders but these events need to serve a purpose. Events need to have a clear audience, a clear message, and a clear goal. This event felt like it was trying to be everything to everyone. Half of the time I wasn’t sure if Glaad thought I was an advertising agency, a media company, a consumer product company, or a potential donor. Without a clear sense of the audience, it was totally impossible for them to make a coherent pitch. The for-profits, on the other hand, all seemed to decide we were all potential consumers and spoke to us like potential consumers. I may have been pissed that it felt like the awards show was being interrupted by commercial breaks but at least I knew where I stood.

If your media awards are going to be a fundraising event, then treat everyone like potential donors, tell your message, tell what you’ve done, tell why you’re important , and tell me how to help. If it is an awareness event, treat everyone like future evangelist, tell us the issue, tell us why it is important, tell us why what you are doing helps the issue, provide us with an easy message to share and a means to share it. If the awards are for partnership development, do all that other stuff and provide us with opportunities to partners. Don’t try to make one event that serves every population, it just doesn’t work. Pick a population, understand that population, decide on what you want from that population , and make a strategy to achieve those things that you want.

Simple right?

No comments:

Post a Comment