Tuesday, August 24, 2010

I'm taking a 360 degree turn

So I've been doing a lot of reading lately, and one thing I've been seeing unanimously is that it's best not to be critical (Sadly, being critical is my specialty). With that in mind, I decided that today's blog post would focus on an ad or a campaign that I liked (or, if not actually liked, something I could see the positives in). So without further ado, here's an ad I came across while perusing one of my favorite sites: www.adsoftheworld.com.





These are anti drinking and driving ads that are running in Sao Paulo Brazil. These ads have a bunch of positives: 1) Big clear copy and a big clear logo 2) simple message 3) Tone is right in line with classic MTV ads. In the "area's for improvement" side of things, is really only one thing, namely the fact that, as pieces of cause marketing, these ads fucking suck and that's not me being critical, that's a fact. Just like water is wet or deserts are dry or "George Bush doesn't care about black people" (thank you kanye), these ads fucking sucking as cause marketing is an objective fact. Why do they suck? Simple, these have nothing to do with drunk driving at all. These are MTV music ads with some copy just slapped on them.

Golden rule of cause marketing: The images should tie into the copy to create a cohesive story. These images are just of people having fun with no link to the dangers of drunk driving and no real explanation of why MTV has decided to make this a cause of theirs. At the end of the day there is no message, no cohesion, and no cause marketing. It's just another boring, lazy mtv ad, in a sea of boring, lazy MTV ads (just this one is poorly disguised as promotion a socially positive cause). . . . hey, I guess this not being critical thing is easier than I thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment