Friday, May 14, 2010

Why is everything such a downer?

I saw these ads the other day while wandering around Union square






I mean, they're ok ads. There is stuff that I'd change (logo is hard to make out, too much copy - am I really supposed to stop and read all that tiny stuff below the headline? Not sure what the body shop has to do with this, would like a website or something so I know what to do with the information that I've learned) but I've seen worse. The thing that struck me is that it's such a downer. In fact, I was looking back at my other posts and they too were downers. Is it just a matter of what I post or is ads and marketing for non-profits really as much of a downer as it seems? Seems like ads are either mindless fluff (look at the American Lung Association fightforair.com for an example of that) or it's all doom and gloom. I mean, is there a middle ground? Can something grab our attention without being the end of the world? Where are the empowerment messages? Where's the hope?

Next time you see a nice ad for a nonprofit that's not all doom and gloom, send it my way at Cerrone@seamnyc.com.

In the immortal words of Johnny Cash "I'd love to wear a rainbow on my back"

No comments:

Post a Comment